Monday, August 29, 2011

Water for Elephants: It's a book review!






Anyone who knows me, knows that I am book-worm. Reading is easily one of my favorite if not my very favorite thing to do when I have alone time. This has always been the case for as long as I can remember. I was that kid with all the stars on her summer reading list and I used my library card constantly. There's just something about a good story that brings joy to my life, a momentary escape, and a fullness I can't quite describe. Fiction is definitely my favorite but I also like a good memoir. My bookcase at home just doesn't fit anymore books so I was sooooo excited on my birthday last year when I got the NOOK e-reader as a gift from my hubby and friend (they got it together) and it has been put to good use!

Recently, I finally read the book "Water for Elephants" and I'll admit I wasn't really expecting much but this story BLEW ME AWAY! Without spoiling anything, here is a quick synopsis from Wikipedia:

The story is told as a series of memories by Jacob Jankowski, a "ninety or ninety-three year-old" man who lives in a nursing home. Jacob is told what to eat and what to do.As the memories begin, Jacob Jankowski is a twenty-three year old Polish American preparing for his final exams as a Cornell University veterinary student when he receives the news that his parents were killed in a car accident. Jacob’s father was a veterinarian and Jacob had planned to join his practice. When Jacob learns that his father was deeply in debt because he had been treating animals for free and had mortgaged the family home to provide Jacob an Ivy League education, he has a breakdown and leaves school just short of graduation. In the dark of night, he jumps on a train only to learn it is a circus train belonging to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. When the owner of the circus, Uncle Al, learns of his training as a vet, he is hired to care for the circus animals



The story really fascinated me in that it told of "circus life" during the depression era in this country. The author really researched and dug deep into this lifestyle and I was so intrigued! It made me want to jump on a train and join the circus... or not..



She described the animals in great detail especially one of the main characters, the elephant "Rosie" and I simply fell in love with her. It reminded me how precious these creatures are and just how important it is for human beings to appreciate and respect them. I remember going to the Coney Island Circus about 2 summers ago and feeling really sad for the animals, this is exactly how I felt when reading about Rosie.


The love story was a unique one, and frankly a breath of fresh air since I know as a writer that there are only so many ways you can tell a love story. Jacob falls for Marlena, Marlena is tangled up in a mess of her own and his love for her felt so real to me as I read his narrative and got wrapped up in his words. The author also did something that I thought was so clever; she made it so that the story of Jacob and Marlena paralleled the story of Jacob in the bible... and if you don't notice it's totally fine (doesn't take away from the story) but if you do, it is a neat thing to discover.

This was one of those books that really affected me (in a good way) and it's been several days since I finished and I don't know what I'm going to read next. I can't wait for the movie to come out on DVD so that I can at least relive the book in some way and see how the movie measured up =)


I highly, highly recommend Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Soooo good!


No comments:

Post a Comment