Thursday, August 25, 2011

Aspiring "Part-Time Cloth Diaper" Mommy - HELP!

With a more "environment conscious" new mommy club entering the scene, It seems like cloth diapers are all the rage now! My grandma has told me stories of pinning diapers, scrubbing poo out of them, and setting them out in the sun to dry in Puerto Rico - scary! But they have come a long way since then.


When I was pregnant, I was really interested in cloth diapering mostly because it is a way to save money. The two greatest expenses for most new parents are -- formula and diapers. I decided that I would cut both of those by breastfeeding and cloth diapering. Formula is crazy expensive; I know, we supplemented with formula for the first 8 weeks of Aiden's life and boy am I glad that is over. Disposable diapers seem to run out as soon as we buy them and I'm so ready to give this up too!





We got 5 "Q Baby" cloth diapers as a gift and have been using them for about a week now. Overall, they are pretty absorbent and no leaks so far... and yes, Aiden has done some pretty large #2's on them! They are really cheap compared to most cloth diapers I've seen out there, about $43 for a pack of 5 on Amazon. We've been using the Kushies biodegradable liners in the diapers but I'm not really a fan of these. When Aiden gets wet, the liner just gets soaked and since it's right up against his skin, he is uncomfortable and squirmy. I feel like we change the liners all the time! For this reason, I am pretty sure we will stick to disposables during the overnight hours because I need Aiden to be as comfortable as possible and let Mama sleep!






Anything better out there?




So, as I aspire to be a "part-time cloth diaper" mommy I have tons of questions... First, I have read some negative reviews about the diapers we have, mostly because the plastic liners get all funky when the diapers are washed in hot water. We don't have a washer/dryer so the diapers are soaked in a pail in some baking soda/oxy-clean and then washed by hand with detergent. Should I just buy some more of the Q Baby diapers or opt for something else? I really like the way the Bum Genius 4.0 diapers look but they are soooo pricey. Also, is with worth it to buy a wet bag to soak the diapers in? I think hanging them behind a door would be so much better than having a pail in our bathtub. What's a good wet bag to purchase?

Also, what is up with "Chinese prefolds"? These seem to cost a lot less than the other diapers but they require a "diaper cover" also. How does this work? Explain this to me palleesse!


I know it will be challenging to wash the diapers by hand - this is why I can only see myself doing this part-time. But it will be easier once I get a system set up. I need a wet bag, a drying rack and most importantly I need more diapers!

Seriously, between pumping at work to bring home fresh milk every day, cloth diapering, and pretty soon making homemade baby food, I feel like Super-Mama =) Woot- woot!

Still, every Super-Mama needs help - so please, HELP!!!

Gracias,
~A

1 comment:

  1. I found Young House Love's post helpful(comments too): http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/08/the-much-requested-cloth-diaper-post/

    Good stuff here too: http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-diapers-101.shtml

    ReplyDelete