Thursday, October 13, 2011

Rant: Bad grammar ruins my reading experience


I've never claimed to be perfect and I realize that we all make mistakes... seriously, I do! I also realize that in the world of social media (Twitter, Facebook etc.) and blogging the rules are a bit more relaxed when it comes to grammar... but can I just say that when reading, it is incredibly distracting when bad grammar is used over and over?

The content may be great, the ideas being presented may be awesome but if the spelling and grammar is deficient, it makes appreciating those ideas pretty tough for me. It's kind of like receiving a nice gift in an unwrapped, beat up old box. (whoops!)

Again, I know that I am not perfect; but is it really THAT hard to use spell-check? I mean, depending on what browser you use, your errors can be corrected as you type. Plus, don't you find it embarrassing to post misspelled words? Gosh, I do!

Besides spelling, these are my main pet peeves:

* Use of prefix and suffix -- I.e. unappropriate --> NO, that is not the correct prefix. It is inappropriate and if you just used spell check you would see that. Oh, and kindless is not a word either. I think what you are trying to say is unkind.

*Than and Then -- No, these are not the same thing. Than indicates comparison and Then indicates time.

*To, Two and Too -- I'm going To the store. I'm going Too! I'm leaving at Two.

*They're, Their and There -- They're is a contraction! Their indicates possession and There can be used when referring to a place.

*Loose vs. Lose -- a) I always Lose my keys. b) I always Loose my keys -- sentence A is correct

*Could of / Would of -- Ughh! It's not "Could of" it's "Could have"

*Apostrophe usage -- I know this one can be tricky but I try to remember these two reasons to use an apostrophe: 1) for contractions i.e. don't and do not and 2) to show possession i.e. April's blog.

There are so many more but just listing these is giving me a headache! LOL I can deal with run-on sentences, fragments and comma splices... Really! I realize that writing is more about what you are trying to convey but sometimes when reading a piece every other sentence contains one of these pesky errors and it's annoying! Ugh!

This rant has been brought to you by April and her "isms" on a Thursday morning =) Thank you for reading -- ain't this been fun?!

No comments:

Post a Comment