Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Centaurs, Satyrs and Demigods Oh My!

Sometime last year, a friend of mine introduced me to a book series for kids called "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" by Rick Riordan.

Let me explain, a few years ago my sister-in-law told me I had to read this book called Twilight. Now, I know that this is teen fiction she said but it's soooo good you will love it. Well, she was right, I LOVED reading Stephenie Meyer's melodrama about the young girl who fell in love with the hot vampire. I didn't go into it expecting a great piece of literature, I just wanted to read something for fun and pure entertainment. I like many others got completely sucked in and obsessed. After I was done reading the Twilight series I felt empty. I needed to experience that again! I needed a story that was so fantasy, such an escape from reality and an easy read so that I could relax with a cup of tea and take a break. So then, someone recommends that I read Harry Potter.

Again, I became completely obsessed and LOVED this series even more than Twilight. Now, let me just say that in my opinion, Harry Potter is written much more eloquently and is far more clever and "meaty" than Twilight. I cannot say any fantasy series I have read again has topped that and once I finished it, again I felt sad. So in comes my friend who assures me that this series about Demigods called "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" is my "next Harry Potter".

Since it's a series it will be kind of tough to review but I just finished the second book of the spin-off series and it was soooo good! This story is basically about demigods (half human / half god) from Greek mythology but with a modern twist. There is a camp where demigods are trained to fulfill their destiny and of course lots of adventures follow. Mount Olympus is at the top of the Empire State building!

As a kid, I loved learning about Greek mythology in school and though the author of this series puts all of this in modern America, he is incredibly true and accurate to the stories in Greek mythology. I found myself going down memory lane and enjoying the very same stories I enjoyed as a child. I grew an attachment to the characters and wanted to know what happened next as I finished each book.

I know I'm a total dork but I just LOVE fantasy stories. For a while it was vampires & werewolves, then it was wizards and the wizarding world, and now it's centaurs, satyrs and demigods... oh my! So yea, if you're into this stuff and want a fun read you MUST check out Rick Riordan's series.

1 comment:

  1. I know you know how I feel about Twilight, but I seriously have an obsession with Greek mythology so I will definitely check out this series! Thanks for putting it on my radar =)

    ReplyDelete