Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Time is of the Essence


I've recently been thinking a lot about time... how important it is to me and why do I value it so much? Time matters in so many different situations. Timing can be everything when starting something new, or ending something old. We do so much to save our time and I'll admit, I am even willing to sacrifice financial resources if it will give me some more time. I'll pay for laundry drop-off service (to not spend time at the laundromat) or I'll pay shipping and handling (to not spend time shopping at a store).

I am learning and seeing now that the timing of somethings matters more than the thing itself. Especially when it comes to people... to our relationships... to our friendships and families. But why did I get to thinking about this so intently? I read an old saying that is pretty famous -- 'Time heals all wounds". After much soul-searching I concluded that I do not agree with this statement. Allowing time to pass after being hurt does not heal ... it suppresses. I know this from years and years of pretending I was moving on and OK about my Dad. I had never had a conversation with him or told him how I feel... I hadn't started therapy yet so I wasn't working out those feelings. I thought that TIME would heal me.

Rose Kennedy said something that really resonated with me: "It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone."

If there is someone you need to "get right" with, I encourage you to make it happen! Have that conversation, share those feelings and build that bridge. Don't waste TIME and don't let unnecessary time continue to wash over and suppress the hurt. The funny thing about time is, you can never, ever get it back... Communication is the key and that is the only way to learn and move forward. Letting time go by without communicating is the worst thing that can happen to any relationship that's in trouble and the worst thing you can do to yourself. Suppressing, burying, ignoring your wounds will only make it harder when it's time for the true healing to begin.

Time is of the Essence...

Truly,

No comments:

Post a Comment