Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Rant; The Charlie Sheen Media Frenzy


For those who normally read my blogs, you know that I like to write about my faith and sometimes give little tidbits about my life and how things are going. I have a huge family and I know lots of you who live far keep up with me in this way. I do read the news and am a very politically interested person.. but I think my "realness" and transparent way of expressing myself is enough for most people to handle without the complication of political views. I try to stay away from that though I can't promise I won't feel moved and write about politics some day. Mostly, I enjoy pondering and exploring my faith as it relates to myself and my relationships. Not really my plan to write about this, it's just kind of what always comes out and since this is a sort of therapy for me, I write what is on my heart regardless. Yikes!

Well, this morning I can't help but feel incredibly moved by a story that has been on the news for several days now -- Charlie Sheen. I know it seems strange; I am actually blogging about Charlie Sheen! But after seeing parts of his 20/20 interview, I can't say that this man has not been on my mind and heart. I think that we tend to put celebrities on this other level sometimes, forgetting that they are human and when watching this interview, all I could see was this VERY human, troubled man who needs help and isn't getting it.

His particular story resonates with me because I have a loved one with bipolar disorder who has been known to self medicate and this is CLEARLY what Charlie Sheen is struggling with. Having lived with this and seen it for years, it isn't difficult to recognize. The difference is that this man has to deal with his issues in public as he is a public figure. To think that one day his kids will have access to the internet and see this interview makes me sick to my stomach.

With bipolar disorder, a person is usually on one of two extremes - manic and depressive. It's finding that balance of emotions that is difficult and nearly all bipolar patients have spent their lives self-medicating with drugs or alcohol. This is why the problem is so often undiagnosed until later on in adulthood. A person with bipolar disorder will not get better until they make that decision for themselves because with this particular illness, so much is in the patient's control. Following a routine, taking medications at the right time, choosing to not abuse drugs, all of these things need to be put in place and it is usually a difficult and long journey. I pray that Charlie Sheen eventually makes these decisions and gets better for the sake of his life and his family. I pray the same for my loved one... it has not been easy.

So when is the media coverage enough? When do we stop taking advantage of a person who is clearly not well for high ratings and a good story? In my opinion, choosing to interview Charlie Sheen while in this state is just feeding the problem and therefore it is irresponsible journalism. We as the audience can clearly see that he is not sober and not well, and I am certain that this was evident to the team of the people in the room with him who were responsible for this interview. It is a shame that making money and gaining public recognition matter more than REAL journalism. There is so much going on in the world (politically and otherwise) to report on and I'd really like to see more interviews that actually tell a story and stand for something important instead of humiliating a sick person. This is not entertainment, nor is it news! The constant media attention is only feeding his problem - enough with the Charlie Sheen media coverage already!

Praying for the Estevez family and especially those kids,




~A

No comments:

Post a Comment