Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Happy Things

As many of you know, I am an incredibly busy lady... I work full-time, I'm a full-time graduate student, I sing with The Symphony Chorus and at my church New Season Christian Center, I teach Sunday school, I am a wife, an expectant mother and have a home to run... it can get quite stressful!! Somehow I manage to have a social life too, don't ask me how! It's kind of in my nature to multi-task and it's hard for me to limit myself on my activities because they are my "happy things". In my ideal world, I'd just give up my full-time job so that I can have time for all these other things that I love so much - ha! With Baby Picon on his way, I know that I will have to cut some stuff out of my schedule, but he is going to be my "ultimate happy thing" so I am not complaining =)




Still, it is nice to have quiet time to myself or down time with my husband. I have a few other "Happy Things" that get me from one day to the next with a smile on my face:





Manicures


I go to a really nice spot near my job called Lily Nails and get a manicure about once every two weeks. It takes about 15 minutes and then I usually stay and read a magazine while my nails dry for another 10 minutes. This little break is perfect in the middle of a busy day at the office.





My Nook




This is what saves me during my commute! It's about an hour and a half each way to and from work so I take the time to read books that I love. I'm really into Fiction (but I love Joyce Meyer so I'll read anything by her) so I like anything with a good story and fun writing style. Currently, I am reading "The Lost Hero" a spin off from the "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series. YESS this is a children's book!! I keep trying to recreate my "Harry Potter" experience but so far nothing is as good. This series is really fun though and I enjoy reading it. Still, it's no Harry Potter. AND don't knock children's books! LOL if you haven't read the Harry Potter series you've been missin.





Pandora


I love listening to music on Pandora because it's so random and i love being surprised by new songs and new artists. I mostly listen to a station based on Josh Groban because I adore him and love anything that sounds like that. I wouldn't call myself a classical music junkie but I have developed a love and appreciation for it over the past two years. It is sooooo much better than all that fake crap out there that people call music. REAL INSTRUMENTS not computerized sounds... it's like a miracle! lol





Facebook


Yea, yea I have issues. I am on FB most of the day simply because reading about my friends and looking at new photos or articles they post gets me through the day! It's a fun way to take a break from office stress and what can I say? I love Facebook. I joined Facebook way back in the stone age when it was only intended for college students... it's been interesting to see how popular it has become.





Enrico's Pastry Shop




My new favorite bakery right in my neighborhood. They serve yummy Italian pastries and a great espresso. My favorite right now is a custard filled powder donut ...as much as I love them I try not to stop in too often but I admit that I see them about once a week :)





The Bachelor




I can't believe I'm admitting this but YES I watch... it's just entertaining television. I'm really smart, I am!! I made straight A's my first semester of grad school LOL.





Apricot Scrub




One wash of my face with this stuff and I instantly feel energized!





Aveeno Lavender stress-relief lotion




I can't explain it.. maybe it's the aroma therapy but this is a really great happy thing.





Fage Greek Yogurt with honey




It's like my new crack!! LOL Soooo yummy!








It's just nice to find joy in simple things and I'm learning more and more how important it is to appreciate and take time for these little things in life. There are many, many more but this is a short list of my "happy things". Do you have any "happy things"?





XO,





April



No comments:

Post a Comment