Monday, April 2, 2012

Never Easy

Mondays are like a car that has been sitting out in freezing temperatures for two days and then suddenly, a key is turned and the car is started and warming up is going to take a while... and nothing is ever easy.

Birthdays are like a cake that has been baking in the oven for almost the right amount of time. If you pull it out too soon it won't be very good, if you pull it out too late it won't be good either...  it has to come out at just the right time to be satisfying, warm, ready to eat cake and somehow that never quite happens. The cake is usually good, edible, acceptable.. but not exactly as it should be. Nothing is ever easy.

Careers are like a huge shelf full of books - different genres, different stories and sometimes one is the best you've ever read and other times it is another. I guess the problem is that I cannot pick just one. Fiction and Memoir and Biography - I love them all and I cannot live without any of them.  I am good at reading all of these and I am good at doing many things. Today I can find healthy challenges and fulfillment in my career and tomorrow I could be bored out of my mind.  Nothing is ever easy.

Parenting is like your favorite roller coaster at the theme park. You get on and feel the biggest rush you have ever felt. You laugh so hard that you cry and you are so in the moment that nothing preceding or following that ride even matters. Then suddenly, that very same roller coaster that brought you such joy makes you sick to your stomach and your world is spinning and you just need to lay down... just lay down for a second.. because it just isn't easy.

Marriage is like the huge mansion on the hill that you pass by and wonder about day after day. You see the huge pillars, the breathtaking fountain in the front garden, the stone pathway to the front door and the bay windows. You wonder about the parties and formal dinners they must have inside... You wish that this was your house and you would call the butler for everything you needed and request your favorite meals from the cook.. But then you get inside that mansion to find that there are just rooms like any other house.. and that even all of the extra amenities can't make you happy. That there is still work to be done - beds to be made and knick-knacks to be dusted... so maybe this big mansion isn't going to make you happy at all... because nothing is ever easy.

And maybe I just want things to be perfect and that is really my own problem... but just one time, if only for today, I would just like something to be easy.

Ta-Ta,



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! I needed to kind of express my need for life to be perfect and easy. I was having a moment! haha!

      Delete