Monday, January 16, 2012

Wrong Timing, Wrong People, Wrong Foundation...

In an effort to figure out why things have felt so imbalanced in my life, I am reflecting on the first part of my church's new series - Finding Balance! Yesterday, my Pastor spoke about 3 things that create imbalance in our lives and what a way to start! I was kind of blown away and this was only the first part of the teaching series so I cannot wait for the rest. So here are the 3 things -- Wrong Timing, Wrong People, Wrong Foundation.

Wrong Timing
"For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven".- Ecclesiastes 3:1

He gave an example of when he first felt the call to Pastor a church. He had just gotten married and when he approached his wife with the idea, she said "no" - she did not feel this was the time to take on such a huge calling. Although he admits that he did not see eye to eye with his wife, he realizes now that timing is everything and had he attempted to start up a church while still starting up a marriage, one of those two would have failed. Needless to say, both are entirely too important for that.  While I haven't been called to plant a church or start a ministry in Africa, I can certainly relate to this feeling in regards to timing. So much in my life has happened when I didn't think it was "the time" and there is so much I have taken on not at the right time as well. This week, I am focusing on TIMING and praying that God can help me figure out what it's time for but more importantly - what it is NOT the time for. Becoming a mother has changed my outlook on so many things but it has also made making decisions a lot more complicated. What I decide not only affects me, or my husband now but it affects our son. How can I, as a 26 year old align myself with the "season" God has me in? I can't go out and party, I barely ever eat in restaurants or see movies in the theater... I'm a new mom and it definitely sets me apart from my peers. Honestly, it was my plan to still be in that "party season" of life... I thought I'd be finishing up a graduate degree, working and hanging with friends on weekends... but things have turned out differently. I am not complaining at all! I ADORE my son and my family life... but finding balance during this season, embracing this TIME has not always been easy. I feel like with the timing thing, it is really about establishing priorities and that is where I plan to do some housekeeping in my own life.
 
Wrong People
  "And so, dear friends, since you already know these things, continually be on your guard not to be carried away by the deception of lawless people. Otherwise, you may fall from your secure position." - 2 Peter 3:17

He gave a really great illustration that literally brought tears to my eyes. He had one of the guys come up and attempt to balance on the edge of the stage. When the young man took a few steps, my Pastor would push him off. Over and over he tried it and obviously couldn't balance because he was being pushed. There is a similar thing that happens when we choose to be around the wrong people. There are those people in our lives who will help us balance, give us a hand and be there to see us get across... and sadly, there are those who will whether intentionally or unintentionally push us. I've made the mistake of allowing the wrong people too close of a place in my life... most times because I felt so insecure and just wanted to be liked and accepted. But it has gotten to the point of a "drowning feeling" because these were not the people who would want to see me get across and keep my balance. At least not in the areas that I needed to. I think God sends the RIGHT people into our lives based on what we need, the season we are in and how those relationships can grow us. 2011 was an extremely defining year for me in relationships. I am feeling really good about the people around me and I am so grateful that God helped me get on track with the right people for my life. It definitely hurts when moving on from relationships at times but what I am learning is that I don't need to work so hard for every one's approval. I can be ME and the right people will be there to support me, sharpen me, and help me keep my balance.
 
Wrong Foundation
  "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." - Psalm 18:2

"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock". - Matthew 7:24-25

This one is simple -- my faith! He used the example of a little girl walking in her mother's high heels. She will stumble and fall not because she does not know how to walk, but because of what is under her feet! What is under my feet? Are they set on the rock? Who is the rock? I know that keeping my faith, cultivating a strong relationship with God and staying focused on that is what sets my feet on the rock. I know that even if I lose track in Timing... and even if I give in with the wrong People, my foundation can never be anyone other than Jesus. The minute I start to rely on someone else, something else... the minute I start to place another person or a career, or even my own Son as the foundation of my life, that is when balance CANNOT happen.
 
Pretty cool huh? Slowly but surely I know that I will find my way and this whole balance thing is going  to become a reality in life... I can feel it!!


  Display on stage at church... idea for the creative pose was all the Hubs ;)


Happy Monday people!
XO,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment