Friday, January 20, 2012

The Hunger Games Trilogy: Oh, How I Miss you!!

For the month of January, I am sticking to reading devotionals and faith filled books as a part of a 21 day journey I have decided to embark on. I am currently reading "Glory Revealed" by David Nasser which is really awesome. In case you didn't know, Glory Revealed is a musical project, put together by a group of some of my favorite Christian recording artists. Mac Powell from Third Day organized this "creative retreat" for all of these people - Mark Hall from Casting Crowns, Brian Litrell of Backstreet Boys, Kari Jobe, just a bunch of really talented people... and they prayed together and wrote songs together to bring bible scriptures to life through music. If you haven't heard it yet, I suggest you get the Glory Revealed CD. Sooo good! Anyway, there is a book that goes along with it and I am reading it and it's great.... but can I just admit something?? I CANNOT WAIT to pick up a good piece of fiction again!

And I mean GOOD fiction! Something with an addictive story, fantasy, feel good, light reading. The last thing I read like that was The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins and I miss it so! I cannot wait for the movie to come out in March so that I can relive it again.


Have you read The Hunger Games? No? But you must!!! Seriously guys it is so good. It's about a post apocalyptic society called "Panem". It is where North America used to be and has been divided up into 13 districts. Each district specializes in a trade and all the districts are controlled by "the capital". In order to maintain this control and discourage a rebellion, the capital hosts an event called "The Hunger Games" every year where two teenagers (one boy, one girl) from each district are placed in an arena to fight to the death.... oh, and it's all on reality television! The last "tribute" standing is the winner and that person gets all sorts of prizes (money, food etc.) for his or her district.

Well, the main character.. her name is Katniss and as I am sure you have guessed by now - she goes to compete in the games. She is NO damsel in distress and I love her... she's bad ass. I loved reading this story and I simply devoured it. I think I finished the whole trilogy in a week. SO good you guys!  My only complaint is that the end felt a little rushed and it all just happened too fast for me. I thought the author would take her time a little more in wrapping things up but still, it was a  great read.

So, your homework for this weekend is to go out and get a copy of The Hunger Games and tell me what you think :) Also, I am taking suggestions for a good piece of fiction to read next! Let me know people.

Have a great weekend!
XO,

1 comment:

  1. I SO need to read this! My sister is and loves it. Thanks for recommending Glory Revealed too. Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete