Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Facebook Hiatus

It seems like social media has taken over the world. It has forever changed the way we interact, the way we represent ourselves and the amount of information we are willing to share with friends, family, non-friends, and total strangers. When Facebook first came about for college students, one of my professors actually suggested I join our school's network. It would be an easy way to get information about events at school and connect with classmates. I jumped on the bandwagon immediately and though it was very different from MySpace (which I was totally addicted to at the time) I loved the way it enabled me to share with friends.



I'm the kind of person that will hear a good quote and say "Oh that's going on my FB status!" I love uploading random pictures of funny things I see and since becoming a mom it has been an easy way to share about my son with family on the west coast... social media is kind of my thing. I am also on Twitter and Google+ but Facebook definitely takes up most of my time.


So lately I've been thinking about the way I interact with people and my real connections with friends. While I was pregnant, I experienced some big let-downs in friendships I thought would be lasting and it was literally like, as I was about to start a new chapter in my life God was showing me who would come along with me and who I needed to let go of. That was so hard at the time and I even felt betrayed and alone during what is already such an emotional time for a woman -- pregnancy! But now, I am so grateful for it! I am really protective with my son and I am glad that the people who have been a part of his life are people I can truly count on consistently. It isn't as many people as I thought but I am learning the importance of QUALITY over quantity.


So speaking of Quality... what about the friendship I offer to others? Is it quality? Am I giving it my best? I feel like especially with the new baby and learning to manage my time, it has been easy to get sucked into the whole "I just don't have time" or "I'm so busy" thing. Facebook has sort of made it easy to continue in this. I don't even have to remember my friend's birthday anymore! I decided that it's just time for a break from Facebook.




You see, since learning that my "friendship circle" (No, I'm not talking about Google+) has gotten a lot smaller, I want to appreciate and value that because man's rejection really is God's protection... and God has placed some pretty awesome people in my "circle". I want my friendships to be more than me "liking" your status... I wanna find the time and be a better quality friend.




Who knows when I'll re-activate my Facebook account but for now, if you need me - give me a call and let's actually talk =)

I'll end this with a great quote I read on a friend's blog that I am learning to live by:


"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If it is not, you will find an excuse."




2 comments:

  1. I think your Facebook hiatus is well-timed given the crazy refresh of the site that just took place. It's awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your FB hiatus idea and I'm thinking you're going to start a big big trend. ;-) Just read some of your blogs for the first time and you are too cute !!

    Sending you big hugs and I will definitely be picking up the phone to interact, GREAT IDEA !!

    Much Love,

    Cindy O

    ReplyDelete