Friday, April 1, 2011

"Count your Blessings April " -- My Mom



















Okay so today was my birthday! I am sure that around this time next year, I will be too busy planning my son's first birthday (we are going to share a month) to even care about celebrating my own... so this one was kind of important to me. Still, planning my son's is going to take the cake! Ha, no pun intended =)



Anyway, I'm not going to lie - there was a bit of sadness for me today. I am used to celebrating every year with friends and this year I didn't even get a "happy birthday" from most of those same friends. What I've been learning the past few months is that I can't just WANT... I have to be WANTED too and I'm learning to embrace and accept that. It's just hard when you think that friendships are stronger than they actually are.... maybe than they actually ever were. It sort of feels like it was all a lie and makes you feel dumb to have fought so much for someone and when it is their turn, they aren't willing to fight for you. Today, on my birthday I couldn't help but feel that sadness and mourn a little for those relationships... but then my mom said something to me: --- "COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS APRIL" ---> she really is smart isn't she??

So, though I don't "list post" very often, I decided that I am going to do just that. Because today I had a really great birthday and I am so very blessed.. Really I am!!! And I won't let sadness over a few people who don't want me to overshadow all the LOVE I felt from the loads of people who do! Love, family, friendships are so abundant in my life and I am so grateful to God for that.


1) A SAVIOR -- Waves of mercy, waves of grace, everywhere I look I see your face! I am blessed to know that I don't have to be perfect, that in my weakness he is strong and that he already paid the price so that I don't have to. That no-matter what, he LOVES me more than anyone ever will.

2) My husband --- yea, that's right I got a man! I come home to an extraordinary person every single day. I don't have to be anyone but myself with him... I don't have to try too hard... he just loves me for me. He stood up and made vows to love me forever and I am the luckiest girl alive. He respects me, and values me and sees my heart. He is a real partner and friend. Today, he sent me to a Maternity Spa for a massage, leg treatment and facial! And bought me strawberry cheesecake from my new favorite pastry shop - Enrico's. He showed me his love on my birthday but more than that he demonstrates his love for me every single day. I thank God that I have been blessed with this man and I am beyond thrilled to be carrying a part of him -- our son.

3) My Mom -- she was the inspiration behind my post today. She has taught me what sacrificial love is and she exemplifies Christ to me on a daily basis. She is patient, loving and understanding and she loves me unconditionally. I can tell her ANYTHING and I do. We have always talked about everything and I am so grateful for the bond that we have shared. I know some young women who don't talk to their moms about what is on their heart and that just makes me appreciate what I have so much. My mom is my best friend and today, she did so much to make my day special.

4) My Family -- I have a huge family so I won't go into details with names but I am grateful for all of them. My in-laws were here today and I am grateful to have married in to such a close, fun, and crazy family =) My aunts, uncles, cousins both near and far called, texted, emailed, Facebooked to show me their love on my birthday and it is so special to know I have been thought of. My beautiful niece left me a voice-mail and sang "happy birthday" to me. There is just nothing that matters more than my family.

5) My Church Family -- New Season Christian Center! I can't describe with words the blessing these people are in my life. I have found an amazing group of women who have supported me throughout my pregnancy with their advice, their love, and prayers. I have gained a new group of friends in the awesome worship team.. I have gotten to know other couples, singles, and some amazing kids. I got some touching messages and words of love from these people today and many birthday wishes I will never forget.

6) Girlfriends-- I had an awesome (and yummy) LADIES night in the city with my wonderful friends this week... young married women like me who have given me so much support and love that I have much needed. I got a special visit from a friend who brought me Girl Scout Cookies just because I was craving them and she wanted to make me happy :) I got yellow roses from another friend and a mani/pedi gift card handmade by her! I got a voicemail from a lovely friend in Queens who has been there for me and worn her heart on her sleeve. I have learned so much to value my relationships with other women and in the last few months GOD HIMSELF has sent some ladies into my path that have been such a blessing.

7) Guy Friends -- Ya know what I love about my guy friends? They are so simple and they don't get caught up in drama. LOL. I have been blessed by their consistency and that in itself is just amazing. They are fun and make me laugh and laughter really is the best medicine.

8) My Job -- throughout this whole pregnancy and especially the doctor's orders for me to stay on bed rest.. my company has been amazing and I am so grateful to have the option of working from home while I get ready to welcome Baby Picon into the world. I got a birthday card from my co-workers today and really appreciated that. God has provided this job for me and I am blessed!

9) Health -- God really knows what he is doing when making our bodies! I have seen that TRULY in the last 9 months. Even though pregnancy takes a toll, I am grateful that I have good health and strength to carry this child.

10) A beautiful apartment, food on the table, NO debt, bills paid, and savings --- Materially speaking, God has provided and I know that nothing I have is because of me. We have made steps this year that I am so grateful we have had the chance to make and I thank God for his provision.

=) Annnnddd my 26th year is bringing the biggest blessing yet -- the birth of my son! Who really needs more? What can I say I am missing? How can I be sad? When I count my blessings it is evident that there is just so much more reason to DANCE than to mourn. That my ashes have been traded in for BEAUTY and that my despair is no longer because I have been given a garment of PRAISE. (Isaiah 61:3)

Happy Birthday to me! And thanks to all of you who care and who made it special. You have no idea what that meant to me especially this year!

Xo,

1 comment:

  1. April...You are such a special person. Your knowledge, compassion, love for life and people. I am truly inspired by you. Mere words can never express the pride I feel when I think of you, how you live your life...your values, your accomplishments. You are kissed with God's amazing grace on your face. You have favor by everyone who knows you, because of that grace. You are so blessed. Thank God for every experience you have, the good and the bad. You are who you are because of those experiences. I would'nt change any part of you. I LOVE YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE! God Bless You, and the experiences you will face tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete