Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Initiative 26 in Mississippi

While I do follow politics and concern myself with the issues of our country, I have made a careful choice not to get political on my blog. I openly talk about my faith and as soon as someone hears me say that I am a Christian, they assume to know where I stand politically as well... but I will just say this - I am not even 100% sure of where I stand. While I value the biblical principles that form the centerpiece of my life, I do not feel that the "conservative" republican party exemplifies those biblical values all the time. When I think about how Jesus would treat issues like abortion, homosexuality, and the economy I am certain that if he were here living as a man now, he might surprise a lot of people. That was his style after all :) I know that republicans are said to be "conservative" and democrats are "liberal" but I simply cannot align myself with a party who advocates the continuous cutting of funds to low income programs all while rewarding high income Americans with tax breaks and incentives. What would Jesus do? He definitely would NOT turn his back on the needy... he wouldn't tell a struggling widow to get off her ass  booty and go work. I'm just sayin.

Anyway, the real reason I am writing this post is because Initiative 26 is being decided in Mississippi and I wonder if it will pass and what influence it will have (if any) in other states. For those who haven't heard, Initiative 26 is an amendment for "personhood" that says LIFE begins at the time of conception. This is the debate that really has made the abortion issue so difficult -- when does life begin? For me, as a person of faith I do agree that life begins the moment an egg is fertilized. A life is beginning, being formed, but that life is still unable to sustain itself without depending on the mother. As a mom, I will go even further and say that when a baby is born, that life is STILL unable to sustain itself without the mother. I guess that kind of complicates things right? So as someone who has faith, this is what I believe and thank God I live in a country where I have the right to believe whatever I want  and express it. So what about those who have no faith at all? What about people who do not believe there is a God? Is this not their country as well? I don't know, but this "church and state separation" thing is looking like a good idea to me.

Now let me just clarify... abortion breaks my heart. Seriously, it does. I have a very hard time understanding why a woman would end such a fragile human life but more importantly, a human life that is a part of herself. Especially after carrying a child myself, I am certain of where I stand in regards to abortion... but I guess that is the key here - where I stand..  lots of women have different circumstances and I cannot pretend I know what it is like to be in their shoes. initiative 26 seeks to put an end to abortion regardless of rape or the health of the mother. It also could ban common forms of birth control like the pill and IUD and it could ban in-vitro fertilization. When we seek to make the law so black and white without recognizing that there are extenuating circumstances and personal choices to be made, well, I just think it is a slippery slope to becoming more like certain countries we have been fighting in for years and less like America.

I have the right to believe the bible...  I have the right to believe when something is sin.. and in my relationship with Christ, I also have the choice to sin or not. As a Christian, I love sharing my faith with anyone who will listen and I do not have to impose my beliefs on anyone... you see, I  am confident that when a person gets to know Christ, they will make the right choices. God is kind of awesome that way =)

  I'm not sure what will happen in Mississippi but I do hope and pray that in America, we continue to have the freedom to choose.

If you want to learn more - here are the websites to No on 26 and Yes on 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment