Thursday, February 23, 2012

I Will Always Love Whitney ...

I have been so busy and haven't had a chance to post about this, but with her funeral being televised over the weekend, I just had to get this up. I am still completely in shock that one of the most amazing singers of our time has passed so tragically.

She debuted in 1985 - the year I was born and I literally grew up with Whitney Houston's music being the "soundtrack to my life". In the 2nd grade I performed my first solo in the school talent show -- "The Greatest Love of All" and I'll admit, all I did in that moment was pretend to be Whitney. My cousins and I used to sing "I Have Nothing" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" while dancing around in the back yard ... and don't even get me started on "I Will Always Love You". It is so exhilarating to crank that song up high and belt out (or attempt to) those beautiful lyrics with her. Whitney's was one of the most amazing voices to touch this earth and I honestly do not think we will ever see a talent quite like hers again.

Aside from all of that though... she was a person. A mother, a daughter, a wife, a friend. Not to me obviously but to some and I am so very sorry for their loss. She grew up in the baptist church and just from watching interviews over the years, I could see that she knew a relationship with Jesus. I hope and pray that she somehow held onto that and that God brought her home at the very end.

The funeral service was beautiful... I particularly enjoyed what Tyler Perry shared. Take a look/ listen below.



No comments:

Post a Comment