Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tis the Season: Gifting, non-gifting and re-gifting

It is mid December people! Christmas is upon us. For me, Christmas is a way to remember and celebrate the birth of Christ, a time to spend with the ones I love, to take a little break from my usual hustle and bustle and reflect on all the love in my life. My favorite thing about the holiday is the decorations... Houses are lit up and everything smells like pine. I love Christmas!
But the one part of this holiday that can get a little stressful- the gifts! I love giving gifts, I love shopping but finding "the perfect gift" can get a little overwhelming. Let's face it, I procrastinate every year and end up buy gifts the week before Christmas. That in itself is bound to cause unnecessary stress. So here are my tips and pointers on gifting, non-gifting and re-gifting:

1) Don't be a procrastinator like me - get your shopping done early! You can really pick out something that is meaningful if you aren't rushing.

2) and on that note... make it meaningful! I can tell by a person's gift giving if they really pay attention so make it count. I know gift cards are more convenient but nothing can replace the feeling that someone actually took their time and resources to PICK SOMETHING OUT for me.

3) You know that saying "it's the thought that counts" ? Well, it really is! One pet peeve I have is when close friends or family give the same "we had no money" every year. Especially when they are buying flat screen TV's, I-pads, and all the latest gadgets throughout the year. I mean, really? At least send a card then! It is a nice, inexpensive way to show you care.

4) My favorite gift of all -- a card! I love greeting cards of all kinds. We make it a point to send out cards every year because it simply is not in the budget to buy everyone we love a present. One day when I am a baller I will but until then I really enjoy sending out my Christmas cards.

5) Presentation counts-- wrapping, bows, labels, come on get into it! LOL.

6) Yummy goodies make great gifts. One year my friend made peppermint bark and gave it out in cute boxes. Just the fact that she took the time to give us something homemade really meant a lot.

7) Have fun, give from the heart and be a good receiver too! Christmas is not about the gifts at all. Don't get sucked into that "why did you get me something? I didn't get you anything" mindset. If someone wants to give, learn how to just receive gratefully. Gifting from the heart is "no strings attached".

8) Remember not to attach emotional strings when you give. Giving a gift no matter how big or small does not give you entitlement to anything. I know this one seems kind of obvious but given some recent events, I just had to mention it.

Happy last minute shopping friends :) XOXO

1 comment:

  1. April, I love your photo of your christmas tree! I enjoyed reading this post, and I like your pointers on #2, #4 and #7. I am so excited to start my own christmas this year 2012 with my husband! I am sad and excited! sad that I might have to work, but I want to request for December 25th day off. But excited that this is our first time to spend christmas together as newlyweds! I am excited about shopping for our very own christmas tree! and I am excited to have a christmas wreath, and all the decorations! lol! I am so looking forward to our christmas this year! PS. I love all your holiday blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete